Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Mazal Tov to Mazal Tov



BS"D

eastern parkway welcomed me with the most moving
chasidishe melody recognized almost immediately as
i was leaving the subway stairs leaving with it behind
the monotone 9-5, emerging out into the night life
of crown heights.

ah, that niggun
there is something about that niggun
different pulse beating here
beating within

though i was freezing cold, did not want to detach
myself from the chupa. as we heard the mazal tov
the chassidim just burst into a dance.

night life of crown heights
different rhythm beating here
stirring something within as i'm watching the tzitzit
flying, thinking how there is just something out of this
world by seeing a chasid dance.

kingston av greeted me with a british accent complimets
of mr. yonatan:

did you like it?

um, did i like what?

the chupa!

oh, yea it was beautiful (yonatan is our sound guy in ch)

did you find another one?

(no ums on this one) no, not yet. (yonatan went up to
this bochur i liked and just asked his name since i really
really wanted to know...long story)

well, hurry up and find another one so i can make
a chupa for you too!

Bezrat Hashem.

carried those words with me to crown street
smiling,
there are some very good souls here that somehow
care about me, and that love is truly humbling.

getting ready for the chasana

feeling something different

as if it is my wedding i am getting ready for

even my walk was different, like a dance

it must be the kedusha from oholei torah

president street
encounter with the familiar, again
recognized him, right away, cannot comprehend
even in the dark, even across the street, even then
and my heart just ached
but i straightened by back
and lowered my head
and i am just saying - Mazal Tov

maariv in 770
feeling something different
or it was more of a knowing
that i am mamash benched
knowing, one day this will be me

oholei torah
the kallah simply radiant
ah, i know where the kedusha waves came from
my first wedding actually
danced all night
just didnt want to stop

then almost instinctively
i desired to watch the chassidim dance
grabbed the hand of my south african friend
telling her let's go and have a look
standing by the corner slightly hiding
shy'ly behind the mechitza
encounter with the familiar
my hands were almost trembling
my heart felt like it was buzzing
and i am just saying - Mazal Tov

so i grabbed my friends hands
south africa and the balkan beat box
going for a spin

shaking of south africa
once and again
with my back erect
and my head held high
dancing to the rythm of

freedom....

1 comment:

Kosher Foodie said...

You seem to apreciate this freedom...
You need it...
Sometimes we choose not to be free...
But then...
A great shabbos sis!